Confession: I’m a tiny bit obsessed with stuntwomen. In another life, I like to think I would have gotten more athletic (and courageous) as a kid and grown up to become one. So, getting to talk to a woman who did just that for an article on how to train like an action movie character? Dream come true. Mindy Kelly is a martial arts badass and works as a stunt choreographer and now director. (Check out her latest short film, Bounty!). Mindy was a blast to chat with—podcast episode with her coming soon, actually!—and I really loved that she takes mindset really seriously when it comes to attempting the impossible. Over on Nylon, we got into the practical elements of training: cardio, strength, flexibility, breath and mindset, and her best tips for all of them. (And if you love the idea of this, check out Chris McDougall’s Natural Born Heroes for more on being superhero-strong… but warning, it will make you want to try Parkour.)
About Molly Hurford
Molly Hurford is a journalist in love with all things cycling, running, nutrition and movement-related. When not outside, she’s writing about being outside and healthy habits of athletes and interviewing world-class athletes and scientists for The Consummate Athlete. She’s the author of multiple books and her most recent project, Shred Girls, is a young adult fiction series and online community focused on getting girls excited about bikes. She also writes regularly for publications including Bicycling magazine, Outside, Map My Run, and Nylon. Molly is a little obsessed with getting people—especially women—psyched on adventure and being outside, and she regularly hosts talks and runs clinics for cyclists and teaches yoga online and IRL… And in her spare time, the former Ironman triathlete and cyclist now spends time racing ultra-runs on trails. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @mollyjhurford
You also might be interested in
- Our Top 5 February Favorites
- What is RPE and How to Use It in Training
- Test Don’t Guess? What happens if you leave Zone 2?
- Tips for Setting Up Your New Run Watch / Cycling Computer (Without Wrecking Your Day)
- Annual BT 700 Bikepacking Newsletter 2024
- The 30-Second Bedtime Habit That Makes Mornings Better
- Libido, Training Couples & Racing After Kids – Megan & David Roche
- On Doing Anything… But Not Everything
- A Few Quick Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips—Plus a PDF List!
- Cold Plunges, Irregular Schedules & Wearable Data